JJ Rhatigan & Company are currently recruiting for A Senior Estimator in London.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate capability and experience in managing an Estimating team in the procurement of new projects. The successful candidate will have a proven record in developing project budgets, producing of BOQ’s, cost plans, assembling accurate and well organised estimates and proposals in a timely manner for use in accurate tender submissions and client presentations, making well-informed projections and analysing risk and opportunities.
We are looking to hear from A Senior Estimator looking to progress their career with a prestigious main contractor.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analysing specifications, plans and related technical data to determine the time, cost and labour requirements for tender submissions.
- Provide detailed budget estimates and hard dollar tenders by analysing specifications, programmes, plans, reports and projecting costs based on these to deliver accurate & responsible submissions.
- Liaise with and coordinate various stakeholders such as project team members, clients, consultants, trade contractors and senior management to ensure the required tender deliverables are met and form a more accurate estimate.
- Obtain bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials; identifying qualified subcontractors; negotiate price to ensure quotes meet contract.
- Present tender budgets and identify areas of risk and/or opportunity to senior management to assist with commercial decision-making.
- Maintain cost databases, based off actual costs, estimate unit rates, supplier & subcontractor rates, for use in cost planning and project benchmarking.
- Preparation of tender document packages for subcontractors and suppliers to assist with the development of specific trade quotations.
- Handover of project budgets to delivery teams post-contract award to brief teams on the project scope of works, specific client, potential risks and/or opportunity and key subcontractors & suppliers involved in the tender process.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analysing and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintain quality service by following organization standards.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- After creating an accurate estimate, make recommendations about how to reduce costs, increase efficiency, and boost profits.
- In order to maintain a consistent stream of correct information across all teams and divisions, thoroughly document findings, actions, recommendations, and updates and distribute that information using the proper channels.
DEPARTMENT/ SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review and improve department procedures and associated work recording templates.
- Recruit and hire talent to fill team positions as required.
- Coordinate and sign off the new employee onboarding process for team members.
- Conduct one-on-one review meetings with team members – a minimum of one every quarter per team member.
- Bi-annual review of department competency matrix and assessment of Human Resources needs – submit any training requests to HR.
- Verify weekly time and attendance timesheets and submit them to HR.
- Carry out annual performance development assessment with each team member.
- Manage poor performance.
- Deal with team disciplinary and grievance issues in coordination with HR.
- Monitor and report on departmental objectives and targets in line with the organizational strategy.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Must be self-starters, proactive attitude, high attention to detail, ability to work on multiple projects at once, good forward planners and are often required to make judgments/ assessments in relation to budget costs from limited information. As an Estimator, you will work closely with other professionals including Construction Managers, Planners and Design Teams, therefore Team working skills are essential.
- Exceptional communication and reporting skills, estimating, decisions making, teamwork, documentation skills and quality-focused.
- Exceptional numeric and problem-solving skills.
- Handle large files with confidential data.
- Excellent IT skills and advanced knowledge of measurement software programs CostX, Cubit and/or Buildsoft including correct use of trade coding and subcontractor comparison.
- High understanding and ability to read, interpret and take-off quantities from drawings.
- High understanding and ability to read and interpret subcontractor quotations, programmes and liaise with subcontractors to confirm scope is covered so as to identify risk and/or opportunity.
- Sound knowledge of building and construction practices over a wide range of project sectors including Residential, Education, Industrial and Commercial.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to keep up to date with new technologies.
- Minimum qualifications of a Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Economics & Management, Quantity Surveying or similar.
- Minimum 15 years experience in a similar role.
- Previous experience estimating projects into the £20 million range.
If you feel you have the required skills and experience and are interested in joining a highly respected company with the opportunity to progress your career, we would be interested in hearing from you.
Attractive terms of employment will be offered to suitable applicants for the above positions.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
If you are seeking an exciting and challenging role please click here to complete our online application for consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.