Construction of a new industrial facility for Ovagen, a biotechnology company that has developed a process of producing germ-free chicken eggs and germ-free birds in commercial quantities for use primarily in the pharmaceutical industry.
The project involved the construction of a new industrial facility for Ovagen Limited, a biotechnology company that has developed a process of producing germ-free (GF) chicken eggs and GF birds in commercial quantities for use primarily in the pharmaceutical industry.
Ovagen uses sterile manufacturing technologies as developed in the pharmaceutical industry in conjunction with biosafety decontamination techniques and best-practice poultry husbandry methods. The GF eggs are used for the manufacture of vaccines and therapeutic proteins for anti-cancer therapies.
This project consisted of a 2,500m² building which contains Germ-Free Suites for flocks of 550 birds, Isolators, Incubators Laboratories, Egg Processing Units, Research & Development Units, Head Office, a .5km access road and associated works. The project was delivered against a very tight schedule.
The project involved;
- A number of large Clean Rooms which were supplied with high-quality air at positive pressure. These rooms were fitted with HEPA filters and temperature controlled. Air Quality meets Cleanroom Standards Class 10 / ISO 4.
- HEPA filters were incorporated on both the supply and extract systems to the Specific Pathogen Free – SPF areas in order to prevent the spread of airborne pathogens from the outside to SPF areas.
- Changing rooms with controlled access showers to clean side. Fitting of transfer isolator unit and sterilization feed bin. Sterilized bedding, food and water (gamma irradiation).
- Extensive ventilation ducting & AHU’s throughout the building with all controls being linked by BMS.
- Sub-station constructed with its own transformer and a plinth for future expansion.
- Offices and canteen along with communications room were also constructed.
Download Case Study