JJ Rhatigan & Company are delighted to have won the Residential Project of the Year in the 2018 Irish Construction Excellence Awards.
The Winning Project: Block 3, Charlemont Regeneration Project, Ffrench-Mullen House, Charlemont Street, Dublin 2
Block 3, Ffrench-Mullen House is a residential development of 79 high-quality social housing units and a range of community amenities in Dublin City Centre. The building is in a prominent location on Charlemont Street, Dublin 2 and was completed in October 2017 for Dublin City Council under a partnership agreement between McGarrell Reilly and the Council. JJ Rhatigan & Company as the main contractor completed this to an exceptionally high standard.
There were several distinguishing factors and major successes that demonstrate why the Ffrench-Mullen House, Charlemont Street project deserves this special recognition.
- Dublin City Council set out a vision for Charlemont of a new, vibrant, neighbourhood creating a high quality sustainable residential environment. This project delivers fully on this vision creating an exceptional mixed use and mixed tenure neighbourhood integrated into the social, economic and physical fabric of the city.
- All 79 new homes achieved an overall BER rating of “A2” . Overall these standards exceed the current building regulation requirements.
- The demanding build and programme necessitated a very close and collaborative working relationship between JJ Rhatigan, the client and the design team to bring it in ahead of schedule.
“It was reassuring to engage and work with such an experienced and confident main contractor. JJ Rhatigan’s reputation for construction excellence was backed up with the delivery of this demanding and complex build with an equally demanding programme. The level of collaboration and partnership achieved with JJ Rhatigan was truly unique and meant that throughout the project there was open dialogue and review, resulting in bespoke considered solutions, ultimately providing both DCC and ourselves with the optimum outcome”
McGarrell Reilly, Client
- We put critical information into the hands of our team in the field with the use of BIM Level 2, improving quality and safety. Excellent handover experience including a digital safety file handover was achieved via the use of BIM level 2.
- Early occupation for tenants Pre Christmas was a key achievement.
“It has taken a very long time, and the last 12 years in particular were tough, but look at where we are now. It was an amazing feeling to get my keys and move in November, in plenty time for Christmas. I have lived on Charlemont Street all of my life, I could see them building our new homes every day and we got to know the guys by name on site. There was always very good communications and we were kept well informed of progress. This is a new beginning, a new start for our community”
Fiona Hanlon, resident and member of the regeneration board.