- Client: NDFA
- Architect: Newenham Mulligan & Associates
- Quantity Surveyor: AECOM
- Duration: February 2014 - May 2015
- Contract value: £5m
Both Duleek Boys and St. Benin’s Girls Schools are 16 classroom new build schools circa 2, 400m² each.
Under NDFA Design & Build Framework Agreement, JJ Rhatigan & Company won the contract for Bundles 1 and 3 schools which involved the design and build of primary and post primary schools on 10 different sites comprising a mix of new build, replacement, refurbishment and extension.
Duleek Boys and St. Benin’s Girls Schools were part of Bundle 1 Schools and comprised of the construction of two new modern schools with associated site works, on completion, the existing schools were to be demolished and cleared. The existing boys & girls schools were located on a 2.2 ha site along Abbey Road, a short distance outside Duleek town. The new site adjacent to the existing school is circa 4ha was designed to cater for two new schools, parking & drop off areas, play areas, a playing field and associated facilities.
It was a design and build contract and the largest of the Bundle 1 schools for the NDFA involving the following:
- A new two storey building (comprising the boys & girls schools) to the North of the existing schools with associated parking and hard play areas.
- New works, entrances & set down areas to the eastern end of the site at the existing school entrance and areas adjacent.
- Demolish & clear existing boys and girls schools.
- External landscaping & play areas, including a full size playing pitch located where the old schools were demolished, this negated the need to remove spoil from site.
The existing school remained in operation during construction so careful consideration and liaising had to be provided to the existing school and adjoining property owners. This involved regular meetings and careful planning between all stakeholders.