- Client: UCD
- Architect: RKD Architects
- Quantity Surveyor: Davis Langdon PKS
- Duration: May 2004 - July 2005
- Contract value: €6.5M
The project involved the construction of a 2,200 m² four story research building with the buildings plant room situated on top of the roof connected to the existing sciences building.
Key features included:
- The facade is a curtain wall glazing system to the front and rear of the building incorporating a powder coated aluminium wall cladding system to the rear elevation, end stairwell and perimeter of the front elevation.
- The ground floor is made up of visitor/occupants canteen off the main entrance lobby and upper floor access zones, which included meeting rooms, offices, conference rooms and a NMR laboratory with a substantial plant installation of a Super conduction magnet, a 600MHz Magnetic Nuclear Resonance Spectrometer.
- Each floor of the three upper floors were divided up into two main laboratories off a main corridor with stairwells on either ends and office spaces, toilets, lift lobby and a connecting link corridor into the existing Sciences Building.
- There were three large main service riser shafts with three smaller services riser shafts starting from the 1st floor rising through the above floors to the service plant area on the roof.
- Each laboratory was fitted out with large specialist work spaces