- Client: Great Western Hotels Ltd.
- Architect: Quilligan Architects
- Quantity Surveyor: TC Estimating
- Duration: March 2004 - April 2005
- Contract value: €12M
Refurbishment and extension to old Great Southern Hotel, which was a Protected Structure, together with the construction of 20 Holiday Apartments.
The refurbishment project consisted of:
- Retention of the entire front façade
- All first floors reconstructed, using retained timber floors
- The roof was reconstructed natural slate
- Restoration to all mouldings, cornices, capitals & dado rails
- All mechanical and electrics were upgraded in sympathy with the original building
- Excavation of rock in the existing building to facilitate the construction of a new basement level and lift pits.
The extension consisted of:
- A new function room and bar
- Ancillary facilities
- Extension to the existing kitchen at ground floor level
- A leisure centre including a swimming pool
- All external façade features, internal mouldings, cornices, replicated in the Extension of the building