- Client: National University of Ireland, Galway
- Architect: Anthony Reddy Associates
- Quantity Surveyor: David Langdon PKS
- Duration: June 2010 - August 2010
- Contract value: €2M
The project consisted of the demolition and refurbishment of the existing main university campus restaurant, enclosure of an existing outdoor courtyard within the centre of the restaurant, now incorporated within the restaurant floor to give more floor space within the restaurant. The project also consisted of the enclosure of an existing external stairwell between the Arts Sciences Building and An Bhialann restaurant.
New offices for the Catering Management were constructed together with a new switch room and communications room.
The total area of the refurbishment of An Bhialann is approx. 1850m², which included the kitchen, servery and courtyard but excluded the east entrance which is approximately 50m².
Construction here posed a number of challenges such as:
- Restrictions to work methodologies and flexibilities.
- Logistical and management challenges.
- Working around exiting live buildings.
- Working around and coordinating with existing M&E services.
- Modifying and extending existing M&E Services.
- Protection of existing structure and avoidance of water ingress during construction.