- Client: University of Limerick
- Architect: RKD Architects
- Quantity Surveyor: O’Reilly Hyland & Tierney
- Duration: March 2010 - June 2011
- Contract value: €4.2M
The construction of a 5-storey building with a total floor area of approx. 3,775 m² to accommodate offices, lecture and research laboratory facilities, and associated siteworks.
The diversions of existing roads and extensive underground services serving existing buildings and car parking facilities were carried out as part of an enabling works contract prior to the main building contract.
The contract included:
- 116 individual rooms of varying size and complexity housing many highly advanced and complex Mechanical & Electrical systems. The building houses rooms such as Exhibition space, Hot desks, Student Laboratories, Research Laboratories, Lecture rooms, PHD Laboratories, ICT Equipment rooms, Meeting rooms, offices, and many more.
- Offices consising of a high spec finish with raised access flooring, high acoustic properties, high spec cabling and electrical properties.
- Research laboratory furniture consisting of epoxy resin worktop bench’s with mobile storage below and high level storage above.
- Specialist equipment in the labs included Fume cupboards, Bio safety cabinets, Instrument Fridges and lighting snorkels.
- The cold rooms to the Labs, fabricated in a workshop and then fitted on-site.
- Extensions of existing two car parking facilities creating over 60 additional car parking spaces, as well as associated paths and landscape treatment.
The works were carried out in a live campus, so deliveries and traffic to site had to be co-ordinated with the college, at certain times, to avoid disruption to the working college.