- Client: Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
- Architect: Michael J Walsh
- Quantity Surveyor: Peter F Costello
- Duration: February 2009 - July 2009
- Contract value: €1M
The project consisted of the demolition of the old Library and the construction of the Marine & Freshwater Facilities in GMIT above the main administration area and examination offices on the ground floor with offices and lecture theatres on two sides on the 1st floor.
- All the offices, lecture theatres, M&E services and escape routes were kept live during the construction period with no disruptions to the daily activities of the college.
- All the M&E services were coordinated locally with GMIT & the Design Team, and agreed method statements would be carried out to disconnect existing services or re-route where required.
- The Marine Laboratories are highly serviced with extensive Ventilation, 5 No. fume cupboards, 3 No. solvent cabinets were installed together with required laboratory gases.
- Extensive Electrical works included the installation of Fire Alarm, Emergency Lighting and motion activation lighting (PIRs), lighting and power circuits together with restricted door access to designated Lab doors.
- Laboratory furniture was installed in all laboratories consisting of both Trespa and stainless steel work tops.
- Whiterock wall linings to labs and marmoleum/ floor finishes throughout.
Phase 2 entailed a Two Storey Staircase Extension which consisted of a copper clad masonry structure with a 2 Storey curtain walling entrance screen and limestone feature bands, feature spiral concrete staircase with curved stainless steel balustrading, stone flooring to staircase and steps and with bespoke light fittings. The Staircase Extension also housed a 2 storey goods lift serving the First Floor Marine Labs