- Client: Athlone Institute of Technology
- Duration: June 2011 - September 2011
- Contract value: €1.2M
Refurbishment, Fit-Out & Upgrade of Athlone IT Science Facility for Athlone Institute of Technology.
The project involved the complete refurbishment and upgrading to the existing Science Facility including refurbishment and modernization. An area of approx 1,000m² containing existing science laboratories and offices was required to be modified extensively to increase student capacity.
The works comprised of:
- The demolition and removal of the existing internal block walls
- The strip out of all the benching, suspended ceilings and mechanical and electrical services and the supply and fitting of laboratory benching.
- Storing and setting aside of some items of equipment for re use where directed and reusing if required.
- The demolition of all internal walls of classrooms and offices within the department and removing from site in full compliance with all health and safety requirements.
- Setting aside fire doors for reuse where directed.
- Constructing new metal stud partition walls to form new Science Laboratories, as designed by AIT’s consultants and design team.
- Complete Mechanical and Electrical fit-out including installation of new plant on the existing roof, complete furniture fit-out, fit for purpose in a chemical rich environment.
- Floor and ceiling finishes and paint finish. Installation of joinery to match existing.
The building we were working on remained live during the construction works and had offices which had to be moved to the ground floor. The building was used for lectures and external meetings and gatherings. We had to ensure services were not disrupted and at all times activity in the building was not affected.